Past Featured News
NEWS

CFA Agreement and APC-UPDATED

04/14/2016 | by Patrick Choi, APC President

Dear APC/Unit 4 Members:

On Friday, April 8, CFA and CSU announced a Tentative Agreement. APC met with the CSU on Tuesday, April 12, in Long Beach to discuss the implementation of our "me-too" clause. What we thought would be a straightforward solution turns out to be a bit more complicated. CFA will receive a 5% GSI on June 30, 2016 and a 2% GSI on July 1, 2016 for a total of 7% over the two fiscal years.  Please note that CFA will not receive retroactive increases for the 2015-16 year and their 5% GSI on June 30, 2016 is not a payout and is calculated after close of business.

APC will also receive the same 7% over the two year period but in a different schedule. This schedule takes into account that Unit 4 members received a 2% GSI effective July 1, 2015 which CFA did not receive. Since Unit 4 members have already received a 2% GSI for 2015-16, the remaining 5% for 2016-17 will be a 3% GSI effective July 1, 2016 and 2% GSI June 30, 2017 (close of business). Again, both CFA and APC will have received the same 7% GSIs over the two fiscal year period, July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016, and July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017. The total money earned would be the same over the same period. This is what the "me-too" clause provides for. Instead of the total of 4% GSI (2% GSI for 2015-16 and 2% GSI for 2016-17) from our 2014 salary reopener agreement, the "me-too" clause will provide a total of 7% GSI for Unit 4 members.  Of course, this proposal is contingent on CFA ratification and CSU Board of Trustees approval.

Here are some FAQs on questions you may have:

1) Why can’t we get the 3% on June 30, 2016 as previously mentioned similar to the 5% CFA is getting? Both unions would get the same 2% on July 1, 2016.

Because we already got 2% from July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016, which CFA did not get.  Remember that the 5% CFA is getting on June 30, 2016 is not retroactive (i.e., they are effectively getting nothing for 2015-16). Over 2015-16 and 2016-17, we are getting 2% + 3% + 2% = 7% and CFA is getting 5% + 2% = 7%.  

2) Will we get the same 3.5% that CFA is getting July 1, 2017?

What type of salary increase we get for 2017-18 is up to negotiations.  Needless to say, we should shoot for at least the 3.5% GSI that CFA is getting then plus another  GSI equivalent to the SSI that CFA is getting then.

3) Why can’t we just get 5% July 1, 2016 if CFA is getting a net 7% July 1, 2016?

Again, because we already got a 2% from July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016, which CFA did not get.  The 2% that we already got in 2015-16 and CFA didn’t are withheld from us in 2016-17 to make up for that.  At the end of 2016-17, both APC and CFA are on a par again with an overall 7% increase each over the two years.

Under the “me too” clause, we can “substitute” the CFA increase for our increase in any or each year.  So, in 2015-16, we could pay back the 2% we received since July 1, 2015 and substitute it with the 5% increase that CFA will receive on June 30, 2016. delaying an additional 2% from July 1, 20016 until June 30, 2017 is roughly equivalent (and in fact a little less) than repaying the 2% we received since July, 2015.

4. When will we see the actual 3% increase?

The GSI is effective July 1, 2016 which is the start of the July 2016 pay period. You will see the increase on your pay warrant provided at the end of July.

For other questions, please contact APC Labor Relations Manager, Lee Norris, at lnorris@apc1002.org

In union,

Patrick Choi